Edmonton’s newest import, defenceman Adam Larsson, will have his work cut out for him when he arrives. He’ll be helping make the Oilers a winning team again, but he’s up against possible resentment from fans who didn’t want to see Taylor Hall leave. Remember, it’s not Larsson’s fault that he was traded, so let’s help him make a smooth transition.
Welcome, Adam! here are some things you need to know about your new city:
1. Edmonton is almost always sunny – we average 325 sunny days each year.
2. We have a LOT of festivals (that’s why we’re called ‘Canada’s Festival City’). Look for green onion cakes!
3. We are one of Canada’s greenest cities, and the River Valley is part of North America’s longest corridor of connected urban parkland.
4. There are no snow days. Deal with it. -20 plus windchill? Recess is outdoors, kiddies.
5. We have mosquitoes. Deal with it. Many Edmontonians put up bat houses to help deal with the 30+ species of the hungry bloodsuckers.
6. Locals don’t really care about ‘The Mall’, or ‘WEM‘. West Edmonton Mall used to be the largest in the world, one reason why tourists flock here. Residents mostly go in the summer for the a/c, and in the winter for the heat.
7. We do not wear cowboy hats – that’s Calgary. You’ll be playing them lots, and learn to hate their team just like we do.
8. Edmonton is part of “Tornado Alley”, which actually starts in Texas. Ask any Edmontonian over 30 what they were doing on July 31, 1987, and they can probably tell you.
9. We don’t have a provincial sales tax. Maybe you will hit WEM, after all.
10. WE LOVE THE OILERS. Remember when you were in the building, playing against us? Now you’re on our team.
— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) June 29, 2016