Ohio patrolman Chris Green did as he was trained – he wore gloves while conducting a traffic stop to investigate a suspected drug deal; his mask was in place while handling evidence, he followed procedure while dealing with the white powder found throughout the car.
But back at the police station, when he found white powder on his shirt, Green brushed it off without thinking; an hour later, he was unconscious. The powder, believed to be fentanyl from the earlier traffic stop, had entered his system through contact with his skin. Green was treated with Narcan at the police station, and further doses as he was rushed to hospital by ambulance.
A few specks of fentanyl can kill an adult. Luckily, two days later Green was released from hospital.
Two men faces charges of tampering with evidence.
Prince is one of many fentanyl overdose victims – more here.
Experts warn that 2017 could see even more Canadian deaths because of opiods than last year’s record numbers.